It’s extremely important – sometimes even necessary – to get a comprehensive look at your property. Lenders, buyers, and contractors may need detailed evaluations of your land before they follow through with your sale, refinancing, or any other project you need done.
When you need to know what’s on your property, you need to hire a Westchester County land surveyor. A professional surveyor can do in-depth research and analysis of your property to show improvements, insurance risks, and more.
Before you order your survey, though, there are some things that you should know about what surveyors can do and what you can get out of your evaluation. Read more about land surveying in New York and, when you’re ready to talk about your own land survey, you can talk to a professional from Scalice Land Surveying.
What Is a Property Survey?
A property survey is an evaluation of a property’s boundary lines, features, improvements, and more. Property surveys are often important when buying, selling, or refinancing a home, and are also used to see how a future construction or project would interact with the land.
There are several different types of property surveys, and which one you need will depend on who is requesting the survey, what it is needed for, and what kind of land you are getting a survey of.
Some different types of land surveys include:
- Boundary surveys, which show the boundary lines of your property, as well as any improvements on those lines and any disputes with neighboring properties
- Topographic surveys, which evaluate the elevation changes on your land
- Subdivision surveys, which divide your lot into parcels
- ALTA/NSPS land title surveys, which are in-detail boundary surveys that show utilities, and easements
Again, what type of survey you need will depend on what you’re getting it for. If someone else has requested that you get a survey for your property, they may have a specific one that they need, and you should consult with them. Otherwise, a Westchester County land surveyor from our company can talk to you about your options.
What Does a Land Surveyor Do?
You may just associate land surveyors with the crews in bright vests looking through complicated instruments. That is often part of what a land surveyor does, but there are other steps that you don’t see.
There are generally three phases of any land survey:
- Preliminary research: Your surveyor will first research your property, which may include looking through historical documents and past survey records.
- Fieldwork: This is when your surveyor actually shows up to your property. Depending on what survey you order, this may involve various instruments and techniques that measure the dimensions and properties of your land.
- Analysis and presentation: After your surveyor completes their fieldwork, they’ll need to process the data they collected and draw up plans of your property.
Depending on how difficult the job is and how large your property is, each step could be very short or could take weeks. When you talk with one of our professional surveyors, they may give you an estimate of how long they would take to survey your land. You can rest assured that our technicians work efficiently and thoroughly so the job doesn’t get dragged out.
How to Find a Good Land Surveyor in Westchester County
When you’re looking for a land surveyor, the sheer number of options may seem overwhelming. How is someone supposed to figure out who is worth hiring? There are some criteria that a land survey company should meet before you even think about hiring them.
When choosing a land surveyor in Westchester County, you should look for:
- A surveyor who has been serving the area for years
- A surveyor with sufficient experience
- A surveyor who is licensed in accordance with New York Education Law § 7204
- A company that cares about its employees and clients
- A company that is willing to give you a free estimate before you commit to hiring them
You need an experienced, educated surveyor who knows how to get all of the information necessary for your survey. Your surveyor should be invested in helping you and anyone else looking at their survey records understand what your land has to offer.
Scalice Land Surveying has been serving clients in New York for over 13 years. Our surveyors have over 75 years of combined experience, and they use cutting-edge technology to shorten job time and keep costs low.
How Much Does a Land Survey Cost?
Your property is unique. Because of that, the cost of your land survey will be unique as well. There is no one-size-fits-all price for property surveys, especially when there is a range of different services to choose from.
In general, your survey will most likely cost less than $1,000. That isn’t a hard and fast rule, though. Depending on the size of your land, any difficult terrain on the property, and what kind of survey you need, the price could range from $200 to $2,000.
There is an easy way to find out how much your land survey may cost: talking to a professional surveyor from Scalice Land Surveying. One of our technicians can talk to you about your situation and your needs and tell you how much you can expect to pay for your survey.
Get a Free Quote on Your Westchester County Land Survey
No matter what you’re getting a survey for, you should have a reliable, efficient crew working on your land. When you need a professional who knows what they’re doing and uses advanced instruments, look no further than the Westchester County land surveyors Scalice, PC.
For your free estimate, call us or contact us online today. Our surveyors want to help you understand your next survey.